Favourites in 2021
Hi dear Bookmonsters!
Today’s video isn’t a book review; instead I’m doing something different – I’m going to show you my current TOP FIVE favourite book covers (or rather, SIX!). Cian already did a video like this a while back (here) and I’ve been wanting to do one too, so here it is!
And like I say in the video, I’m going to JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER! Because I just can’t help myself! It’s hard not to be drawn in by a really pretty cover, especially when it’s in your favourite colours. But as I explain, it’s not just the colours or the illustrations that attract me, it’s also the font, the spine, the wraparounds to the back cover and, really importantly, the FEEL. I love how a book feels in my hands.
So, like with Cian’s video of his TOP FIVE covers, this review is a thank you to cover artists, illustrators, author-illustrators, designers, typographers for creating such beautiful book covers. And the books are brilliant too!
Here are the books in alphabetical order (by author), so as not to give anything away just yet! (I’ve also included the links to the book reviews I’ve already posted here on Bookmonster.)
- THE GIRL WHO SPEAKS BEAR by Sophie Anderson | Cover by Kathrin Honesta
- WILLA OF THE WOOD by Robert Beatty | Cover by Millie Liu | Design by Maria Elias
- SHARK CALLER by Zillah Bethell | Cover by Saara Katariina Söderlund | Typography by Sarah J. Coleman
- SKY SONG by Abi Elphinstone | Cover by Daniela Terrazzini
- NEVERTELL by Katherine Orton | Cover by Sandra Dieckmann
- NORTH CHILD by Edith Pattou | Cover by Claire Lefevre
Also featured in this video is RUMBLESTAR by Abi Elphinstone.